Saturday, October 6, 2012

Gratitude

Yesterday I conquered the fear.  I not only conquered it, I stomped it into the ground, wrote out the fierce, dark, slick and oozing terror filled memory onto the page and left it there.  There were flashbacks, kinesthetic memories and crying, screaming at the universe, thoughts of: "why me? how could they? why would anyone? how could anyone?" Shame, fear, tears, sorrow, regret, guilt and the thought of never writing another word.....and then, finishing the story, the truth....closing the page and walking away.

As a Survivor, and I capitalize that word on purpose by the way....a Survivor to me is a Warrior, strong, fierce, determined, purified by the flames of suffering and pain.... a Survivor shines with an inner light that radiates outward like a beacon, saying: "Yes, I'm here, still here, I'm here and fighting for my life, for my right to be here, for ME."   As a Survivor, I have fought so many battles, conquered so many demons, done so much work, walked a billion steps on this healing path....and none have seemed as terrifying, exhausting and impossible as this work just here, where I see the light on the other side of the doorway, where it's so close I can sometimes touch it.

After I left the page, the tears and flashbacks and body memories....I got myself up and into a shower with the intention of washing it all away.  With the intention set, in my mind and heart and soul to let the water wash over me, the whole of me, and let it take with it, as it found it's way down the drain the fear, shame, guilt, sorrow and shame.

I was left with a deep sense of Gratitude.

Grateful to have survived, grateful to be alive, grateful for this moment, just here, when I know I have won, and those that abused me have lost.  each breath I take , each step I take on this path, each moment that I'm alive is a victory.  I am looking with new eyes today, it feels like I'm seeing everything for the very first time.  The sky is a brilliant blue and the scent of Autumn is carried on a soft breeze that feels like a warm embrace.

I am strong, stronger than any prize fighter, braver than any warrior on a battlefield and more determined to finish this healing than ever.  I am in awe this morning of every Survivor on the planet, every woman that wakes up each day to continue her fight to BE a Survivor.   I am ready for whatever the next moment will bring me, ready to write the next piece of the story that I'm terrified of, ready to face whatever challenge I am given to overcome.

This sense of Gratitude with a capital "G" is overwhelming, and I am grateful to each of you who may read this, for reading it, for continuing on your healing path, no matter how rocky or indescribably terrifying it may be.  I am grateful for this moment, and the next and next... because I am a Survivor and because I am learning to thrive, to truly live, to have moments of absolute joy, to revel in moments of peace and I want to shout from the rooftops that it CAN be done, that we can win in every single moment, that in our act of living, in each and every single moment we DO win.  And nothing.. no one.... can take that away, ever.

Thank you, for surviving, for taking each step, for living each moment no matter how scary it may be... thank you for lighting the path for those that follow, and thank you to those that have lit it before us.... I am grateful.

May you have a blessed day, filled with light and love and peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment